Data Advocacy for All is an eight-module curriculum that leverages minimal computing and open-source tools to enhance student abilities to inquire with data, communicate with data, and deploy data for social advocacy.
Data Advocacy for All has been designed for students across the disciplines with no prior data science or computing experience. This college-level curriculum includes pedagogical modules, ready-made data sets, tutorials, links to open-source tools, and flexible curricular resources.
Data Advocacy for All is a CU Next Award Grant project that has been realized by a team of digital rhetoric and digital humanities faculty at CU Boulder and Denver in concert with CU Boulder’s Center for Research Data and Digital Scholarship (CRDDS).
Grants and Funding
- Pieplow, Nathan. Data Advocacy for All. https://communitywriting.org/conference-on-community-writing/. Conference on Community Writing, Denver, Colorado.
- Blevins, Cameron. Building a Data Advocacy Curriculum. https://uwaterloo.ca/digital-pedagogy-institute/sites/ca.digital-pedagogy-institute/files/uploads/files/dpi202schedulewithabstracts.pdf. Digital Pedagogy Institute 2023.
- “The Two-Way Street Between Humanities and Data Science: How Cameron Blevins and a Multidisciplinary, Multicampus Team are Bringing Data Advocacy to All” Office of Research and Creative Activities,University of Colorado College of Liberal Arts and Science, https://clas.ucdenver.edu/orca/faculty-project-spotlight
- “Cameron Blevins and John Tinnell’s CU Next Award Project Hopes to Bring Data Advocacy for All” Dean’s Notes, University of Colorado College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, 3 Nov. 2022, https://clas.ucdenver.edu/deans-notes/2022/11/03/cameron-blevins-and-john-tinnells-cu-next-award-project-hopes-bring-data-advocacy-all
- “Project Aims to Help Students Harness Data for the Greater Good.” Colorado Arts and Sciences Magazine, 10 Oct. 2022, https://www.colorado.edu/asmagazine/2022/10/10/project-aims-help-students-harness-data-greater-good.